Saturday, May 05, 2007

Finales, sandwiches and pickles

Tonight is the final New World Symphony concert of the season:

Dvorak Carnival Overture, conducted by Steven Jarvi
Strauss Four Last Songs, with Renee Fleming
Sibelius 2nd Symphony

The Strauss and Sibelius are conducted by MTT, and I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful and moving concert to be my last! I don't have much time to write now, but I want to draw your attention to some interesting recent posts at the CSO Double Bass Blog by Michael Hovnanian - he writes about new music programming and the tendency to package those less familiar pieces besides, or even within, the standard rep warhorses.

And Jason Heath's Double Bass Blog, always pushing the frontiers of technology and interaction for the bassist community, has just made a new inroad - onto the sidebar of hella frisch! You'll find something called a "Podcast Pickle", which will play you Jason's fantastic interviews and tastefully chosen recordings as you skim for readable portions of my blog!

More to come soon, including the next installment of my Calgary audition story!

No comments: