Tuesday, December 20, 2005

happy holidays with surprising swizzle sticks

Maybe it's a result of my upbringing beneath the majestic mountains and overcast skies of Tacoma, Washington. Or maybe it's the all-pervasive holiday advertising blitz at Starbucks. But whatever the reason, nothing symbolizes Christmas time for me like the Pacific Northwest. I unfortunately won't be there to visit family this year, but my Dad and step-mom Theresa were nice enough to send this lovely gift basket, full of Washington-linked food products.
Coffee and tea, smoked salmon, caramel nuts, chocolate truffles, I have no complaints with any of these things. But 'Pickled Crispy Beans'? What do these have to do with my native state? The label suggests that I 'Use Beans as a surprising swizzle stick in Bloody Mary cocktails!' Somehow that sounds more to me like something a Californian would do.

Anyway, in honor of its transcontinental journey, I've photographed the gift basket surrounded by some made in Florida specialties, such as bananas, avocado, and grapefruit. I wasn't able to include any horrific traffic jams or fraudulent elections.

Thanks Dad and Theresa, and merry Christmas! Posted by Picasa

No comments: