Sunday, January 15, 2006

LA Phil: an institution gets up to date

There's a great article in the NY Times today about the Los Angeles Philharmonic, which in writer Allan Kozinn's words "tops the list of America's premier orchestras and serves as a lesson in how to update an august cultural institution without cheapening its work." A couple of years ago I spent a summer with my brother Dan in LA, studying with LA Phil bassist David Moore and hearing a lot of concerts. I should write something about that soon, since it was a great summer and a very musically enlightening experience.

You can read Allan Kozinn's article, "Continental Shift" online with a free NY Times registration. The LA Phil also now has a podcast with concert preview stuff, through the K-Mozart radio station. That's also free of course - hopefully all this free publicity also won't cheapen the orchestra's work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a nice article in the NYT, and it's great to see the L.A. Phil doing well. I saw them do the Dvorak New World Symphony when I was 14 and that was the first time I had seen a real symphony (as opposed to playing in the kiddie orchestras at school). I count that event as one of the deciding factors in me wanting to learn to play the double bass well.

It's also great to read about Mr. Salonen's strong interest and activities in promoting contemporary music. Orchestras, opera companies, and even music appreciation courses often don't give nearly enough attention to the present.